Friday, February 11, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 and Christmas PJ's

*Drat for taking my pictures home*
Thanksgiving was, as usual, a good time this year. The food was fabulous, the decor beautiful, and the company great! Sophia ate a little of everything on the table and then promptly passed out in her high chair, head lolling to the side. Padon and Greg sat together, away from parental support and with my Mom happily seated between them and Billy. It was such a wonderful gesture for her to take on the kids so we parents could have a holiday meal without cutting up someone's meat or portioning out more of the sides. And Padon and Greg were so well behaved. Usually there is excited hitting and kicking, as they love each other madly, and instead they happily enjoyed each other's company chatting away.

For the Warren Household, Thanksgiving means that the next day Chloe has every intention of not shopping on Black Friday but that she probably will and that the Christmas tree gets to go up. I really didn't want to shop on Black Friday. Not that I don't like to wait in line but I was super tired that week and if you want to surround yourself with the largest number of unhappy holiday goers and crazy drivers, trying to fit in spots way to small for their enormous SUVs, that you will see in a year, you just don't shop on Black Friday. JoAnn Fabric was, however, having their stellar cheap novelty flannel sale and christmas pajama fabric needed to be bought. So with some added motivation I asked Padon if he wanted to go Christmas PJ fabric shopping and get up super early. He, as any wonderful 3 year old would be, was super excited to go out with me and we were on.

I woke Padon up at 5:30 in the morning, bleck! We dressed ourselves in warm clothes for the 21 degree weather outside and drove the 20 minutes down to Marysville where the JoAnn Fabric USED to be. That's right, used to! I had totally forgotten that they had moved locations and I had no idea where. That meant we had to drive to Lynnwood to go to the huge JoAnn Fabric and that we definitly would not be there when the store opened at 6am. We arrived at the Lynnwood store at 6:30 and to a store crowed with women and carts stacked, no kidding, 6 feet high with bolt upon bolt of novelty print fabric. While the section of fabric had still many bolts to choose from the cute, have to have, Christmas themed fabric was gone. And we were number 89 while the cutting table clicker was still at 51; there was a warm snowball's chance in hell that we were going to get our hands on better fabric than what was available to us.

Padon was awesome! We made the lap around the novelty print fabric probably 8 times and he enjoyed playing with the nic-nacks around the store. Disheartening, though, was when I asked Padon what fabric he wanted and he replied "all done with the fabric." I'm pretty positive my mouth fell open. I fully acknowledge that the pj's are a tradition for us that is far more important to me then to anyone else in the Warren house, but he was 3 and was supposed to have SOME opinion. I mean at 2 he picked out his fabric...Synapses fighting the urge not to over push the need for him to want to choose some fabric on his own, I picked out 5 bolts of fabric and asked him if he liked any of them. Sort of giving in he turned away from the bolts I had chosen and pointed out a bolt that was the pinkest of pink with stars and rainbows and said, "this is what I want!" I said "really?!" and he confirmed the choice. I'm not the kind of Mom that would not let my little boy dress like Rainbow Bright if he really wanted to, but I was the kind of Mom that was not about to take the time to make Pj's he might turn around and tell me on Christmas Eve "I'm not wearing that!" So holding onto the fabric I looked for some fabric for Pia (she had to have a different fabric then Padon; I'm so sick). I found a cute penguin fabric where the penguin's stomach looked like it was a snow globe and the rest of the fabric looked like it had snow flakes on it. I then went and found Padon again, who was happily playing in the wind-up toy section and confirmed with him for a third time (I think) "so this is the fabric of your Christmas Pajamas?" He disgustedly looked at me and said "No! That's GIRLs fabric!" Are you kidding me?! Realizing fully, now that the X-mas pj's were all about me, and that the fantasy of him picking out fabric with me was gone, I went and picked out some super soft white flannel fabric with puppies all over it got him to choose some puppy buttons, and then proceeded to the pattern section to buy a PJ pattern big enough to fit Padon.

Padon was so awesome and beyond well behaved. It took us 3 hours to go in the store, pick out fabric, pick out a PJ pattern, and to get our fabric cut. Padon's big insentive, other then getting to have quality time with me, was that afterward we would go across the street to Sherry's and have some pie and hot chocolate. After our 3 hour excursion (not counting drive time) Pie wasn't going to cut it so we had a giant slice of chocolate pie (Padon chose), hot chocolate, coffee for me, and a giant breakfast skillet, and proceeded to stuff ourselves. It was a really great time. I hope Padon is more into picking out fabric next year. And of course Pia will be old enough to pick her fabric too. I don't plan on giving up. My kids will be 30 and still receiving PJs from me. Teehee!

No comments: