Friday, February 25, 2011

Sophia's 1st Birthday!

I am devoted to celebrating my kid's birthdays on their birthday even if it is a little family celebration and I wasn't going to let the fatigue of the ending holiday season take that away from Sophia. I am hyper aware that she was born at a time where Christmas has just ended and New Years Eve is the next day and just as I worried people weren't excited about getting together to celebrate her 1st birthday. I jockied around the idea, via an email to family members, that we celebrate her birthday in February but got no response and saddened I stamped my mental foot and decided we Warren's were going to celebrate her birthday regardless if anyone else came, on her birthday! I had Groupon coupons from Jane and from a purchase that I had made for the Children's Museum in Seattle and it was the perfect venue for a 1st birthday. I sent the invite to join us to family and happily Leo, Jane, and Jason said they could come.

We dressed warmly and adorned with her birthday crown we made our way to the Seattle Center.


It was awesome! The coupons covered the cost for all of us to go into the museum and Padon was super excited to run amuck in a world designed for people his size. Sophia was a little hesitant but in the baby/toddler section she was still curious and to my surprise used her new found crawling skills to follow me from one section of the play area to the other.
I had decked her out with a wire rimmed red ribbon that was stink'n adorable with her polk-a-dot dress, onzie, and daisey covered tights. It made people ask about her ribbon and gave me the opportunity to brag about my beautiful little girl and to tell them how it was her birthday that day.

We played for about two hours and then made our way up to the food court in the Seattle Center for a delicious pizza lunch.

I had packed with me a special table cloth, cupcakes that came with snow globe ring favors, and a special chocolate cupcake and Pooh candle for Pia.

We lit the candle, sang her happy Birthday, she put the candle out by pinching the wick (no kidding) and we let her dig in.
A little slow to react to the gluttony that comes with the 1st birthday cake, especially on a full pizza belly, she soon was scarfing icing and cake, and some where in that little roly-poly body found room for the whole cupcake! She did pass out cold in the stroller as we made our way back to the car. I take that as the sign that it was a perfect party.





Even though it was so very important to me that we celebrate Sophia's 1st brithday on the day she was born, going forward we will celebrate Sophia's birthday as a little Warren party on her day but have a party on her 1/2 birthday on the 4th of July. Family gets together on that day anyway and who can turn down a middle of the summer birthday - pool parties here we come! I'm think'n Luau theme! Woot!

No comments: