Tuesday, June 5, 2012

(Dec 2011) The Nutcracker

My friend Jen had wanted very badly to take her little girl to see the Nutcracker and wanted to know if I wouldn't like to come along.  Initially when she invited me her little girl, Mia was only 2 and Padon 3.  I knew Padon wouldn't be able to sit through the whole ballet and didn't want to waste the money when it might be better just to go the next year.  This year as December approached I brought up the subject again and Jen was all over it.  I wasn't sure how Mia was going to be able to handle it but I thought with Mia's maturity that at least we would be able to have a special day.  I had seen at Target that they had Nutcrackers for $10 and so I bought Mia a Clara Nutcracker and Padon, The Clockmaker Nutcracker (it looking the most like a Pirate).  They were neat because painted on their base was 2011, so if the Nutcracker lasted, they could be a keepsake of their first Nutcracker.

When the day came to go see the Nutcracker Padon and I dressed up, in similar dress outfits, and I wrapped the Nutcrackers, Padon completely unaware.  When we got to Jen's house to carpool to the ballet I handed the two kids their Nutcrackers to unwrap.  Mia liked her Nutcracker but Padon was enthralled!  I think Mia liked her Nutcracker more because Padon loved his so much and both kids went off to have a special lunch with their Nutcrackers tucked in their arms. 

We went to lunch in Renton at the Jimmy McCales Road House, where when you walk in the door you take a bowl of peanuts, and as you eat the peanuts you throw the shells on the floor.  Padon and Mia loved it and  Jen thought it was the perfect place to go for lunch.

After we went to the theater in Auburn.  Padon and Mia were excited for the Ballet to start and were enthral1led through the beginning.  Padon calling out to the dancers on stage "Where are those boys going?" as the evil brother is running around with his friends and Clara's Nutcracker, and said loudly as he clutched his Nutcracker "Oh, she loves her Nutcracker!  I LOVE MY Nutcracker!".  He was overall really good even as we got about half way through the second half of the play that was largely just dance.  At one point he whispered "This is really long!"  To which I replied "Yeah, I didn't realize it was so long (it was the first time I had seen it too).  I did just about die as I saw the now human Nutcracker come dancing on stage in his Ballet tights, large genital package protruding.  I'm not a prude by any means but I just didn't want Padon to yell out "hey Mommy!  I can see his penis!!!!"  Which, knowing my 4 year old, I didn't put it past him.  I was so relieved for the play to come to an end and we were able to go out to the lobby and meet the dancers.  Padon happily, and unshyly, posed with the Italian Dancers and the intimidating Clockmaker - Dosselmeyer.

Padon was so in love with his Nutcracker that it was a new best friend.  He watched the Nutcracker on Netflix six times, I think, before Christmas, slept with him every night, and had to take it to my Parent's for Christmas to show my parents and to stand it under the Christmas tree.  Surprisingly at the end of January, when we packed up our Christmas decorations, he let me pack up his Nutcracker for next year.  I think he will be really excited to see it again and I wonder if he will want to see the ballet again.  

No comments: