Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Go, Mommy"

I love to talk to Padon; everything that comes out of his mouth is facinating and interesting to hear. The best so far was the morning before last I got up to pump my engorged breasts and heard Padon crying in his room. So I went down to ask him what was wrong and he mumbled to me quietly something totally unhearable. I said "what mouse, I can't hear you." So he mumbled some more and I ended up curled up on the bed next to him, kissing on his deliciously chubby cheeks and petting his head trying to decifer what was up. All the while I wished I could just pump. So finally I said "Padon, I'm sorry your sad and I really want to help you but I really need to pump the milk from my breasts."

I can't tell you how awesome it has been to talk candidly to Padon about breastfeeding. He has gotten it from the beginning, declaring when I get home from work that I put Pia's milk in the fridge, and talking about "milk a Pia", and "Pia's milk". This time I said "here Padon feel my breast, feel how hard it is? It's supposed to be soft and squishy but there is so much milk it is really hard and it hurts. So I want to help you but I really need to pump my breasts. I'm going to go pump and then I'll come back and see how you are doing and if you need anything. I just need to go and pump." To which he looked me straight in the eye, patted my left shoulder and said "Mommy, Go." In a manner that was like, Mommy, shush already, just go and pump. I laughed, caught myself, and said "Ok, I'll go and I'll come back as soon as I'm done." He said "ok." and then I left. He cried for a minute and I went back when I was done. He seemed to still be awake and I napped in his bed with him for a couple hours and never did find out what was wrong. I think he had been having bad dreams about Roadie because he mentioned how he could hear her howling when I was pumping only it was midnight and Roadie hadn't made a peep.

My other favorite moments have been: going to a friend's new yarn shop to have Padon, excited for me, shopping for yarn with me: talking about the colors and how soft the skiens were and looking at pattern books with and for me. And being told, when Padon wants something and I am feeding Sophia, that she is done eatting and that she doesn't want anymore.

1 comment:

Dear Baby said...

We love our boys! It's so much more fun for me now that Greg can articulate what he is thinking. Sweet relief, him and me! We're lucky to have such sweet ones.