Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh Man I Was So Proud!

I have found in my life that I am regularly looking for my place in the world and where I think, like a peg, I would fit most snuggly, comfortably and sound. So when Patrick came to his family to announce that he was joining the Navy and wanted it so badly he could taste it I was super excited for him even though my heart dropped into my stomach. My heart dropped because I didn't want him to go to war and possibly die for a war I didn't believe in, but at the same time that was just a part of the wonderful future in store for him.

So after 3 months, serious personal determination and devotion, studying, physical exercise, stress, and proof to his recruiters that choosing Patrick with nothing but a GED was a good decision, Patrick graduated 2nd in his class of 12 divisions; 1400 Seaman Recruits. I couldn't miss Patrick's celebratory day. I felt very strongly in my heart that this wasn't just a graduation of his Naval Boot Camp but a day to celebrate Patrick and to be excited with him for this positive life choice. He had attended our high School graduations, my Mother's and my college graduation, and this was his day to shine.

It couldn't hold me back that his graduation was in Waukegan, IL and I was ready to do anything I had to, to get to his graduation, if not to attend the ceremony but just to see him afterwards. Luckily for me, even though I was not on the list of family attending, I was waived ahead into the graduation hall. Having arrived at the crack of dawn ready to wait in a first-come, first-served line because I made up the 4th of 4 family members allowed, I was able to save some sweet seats for my Mom, Dad, and Patrick's girlfriend Catharine, right in front of where Pat's division was due to stand.
As I expected there was a lot of pomp and circumstance with the graduation ceremony including but not limited to short movies on the screens hanging on the walls showing the day to day life as a Seaman Recurit, speeches from important people heading the division, band playing, flag marching, and choir singing.

It seemed like an eternity as hundreds and hundreds of family members waited anxiously for the graduates to arrive. They kept the hall empty for half of the ceremony until they announced that the graduates were on their way across base and should arrive in 15 minutes. In what felt like 25 minutes they announced the graduates had arrived and opened up the large garage door in front of where we were sitting and began announcing the division numbers as the graduates marched into the hall in perfect formation, marching towards us and then to our right, down the hall and back around.

It was amazing and awe inspiring and I still choke up in my throat at the memory of their silouetes in the light of the garage door and seeing Patrick's division come marching in second. I did everything I could to take good pictures and video tape the best moments on a camera that could only capture 30 minutes of a 2 hour (?) period. Patrick was the tallest in his division and was easy to pic out again and again. Note the really tall guy, standing to the left of the flag below.


When Patrick's division came back to stand in front of us they handed over their long winter coats, stood at ease, (which to me still seemed like at attention) and then proceeded to stand there in that position for at least an hour, with more speeches and ankowledgement of specific graduates for their major accomplishments during their time in bootcamp.

Finally the graduation was finished and the announcer said the families could come down into the hall to greet their graduates. Catharine was down on the floor in a snap and in Pat's arms, followed by my parents, and because I was snapping pictures down the stairs, finally followed by me.

He looked wonderful, handsome, confident, and relieved to be done. He felt he had graduated when he received his cap that no longer said "Recurit" but "Navy" and he was glad we had come. He was surpised and glad to see me because he didn't think I would be able to come and especially since he had not put me down on the list of family invited. I gave him a huge hug trying not to cry (my throat hurt by the end of the day from my adam apple bobbing up and down, stopping the tears from welling up in my eyes).
He showed us how he had received an extra ribbon for achieving sharp shooter (not Sniper :D)and told us about what it was like to go through the battle stations senarios, how some of the other Seaman Recurits acted during bootcamp, and how he thought the whole processes was too easy and and how the Navy should have made it harder.
After lunch and a quick visit Patrick was supposed to head off to the airport to fly to Groton, CT to begin his "A School" at he submarine base there. He was irritated that he didn't get leave like many of the other graduates but as his family we weren't to be held back and got passes through airport security, allowing us to follow Patrick and his friends, after his arrival at the airport, to the USO office.

They let us sit in their resting room and we just chatted until it was dinner time.
After dinner we went with Pat to his gate and waited again to say goodbye. The camera thworted my efforts to get a picture of Pat going through gate, argh! We waited until his plane flew away and made our way back to our hotel where Catharine and I had a couple drinks from the bar and watched cable in our room reminising over the day.
-
It was a fast trip and I was sorry we had to go home so soon, but it was so special for me that I got be there for Patrick on his special day.

2 comments:

joansy said...

I'm so glad you got to go. And I'm so proud of Patrick for all of his accomplishments.

Chloe said...

I wish we all could have gone.