Thursday, May 5, 2011

Easter 2010





Weather had been so wet and cold all winter and into the spring that when I caught wind that the Saturday before Easter was supposed to be sunny I asked Padon if he would be interested in getting in his Easter clothes and taking pictures outside. He surprised me when he enthusiastically said yes. I didn't waist any time in getting him in his slacks, dress shirt, vest, tie, and new dress shoes and quickly put Sophia in the super adorable pink and ribbon adorned dress that my mother had bought for her, her white tights, and fantastic pink sparkle shoes. We ran outside and I started posing the kids and snapping pictures in as timely a manner as I could. I was dangerously close to Sophia's nap time and she was fading fast. Padon was eager to help and between eating Dandelions and telling me they tasted like ear wax, and Sophia crying because Padon hugged her, I got some beautiful pictures of a couple wonderful and cute kids!



It was such a great opportunity too because the next day the clouds had rolled back in and the rain was upon us again. Instead of pictures by the lake at my parents house I posed the kids inside, in front of my Mom's fireplace with her Easter decor. Jane caught the most adorable picture of Padon and Sophia and that ended up being the picture that I framed and hung on our hallway wall.

Easter morning, for the first time, we opened Easter baskets at our house, before having a delicious pancake breakfast. I had gone to the dollar store and for $5 each filled Padon and Sophia's baskets with three toys each and three pieces of candy; perfect for two little kids. They were both so excited to wake up to the baskets and really liked what they found inside (transformers and a sketch pad for Padon and a squishy jelly bean, rattle, and tiny tambourines for Sophia), and Sophia ate all of her candy in giant mouthfuls as her chubby fists just kept shoveling it in. I did discover that both Sophia and Padon weren't too keen on the marshmallow candy which I had accidentally bought as two of their three pieces of candy: chocolate covered marshmallow eggs, peep bunnies stuffed in plastic eggs, and peanut butter filled chocolate rabbits. It was still a hit and I felt such warm gushies sharing this day with my little and wonderful family.

On the way down to my Parent's house it came up in the car, via Padon, that we were going down to Grandma and Grandpa's because of a birthday party in which Padon was sure he was going to have cake. Walter and I looked at each other, wondering how one who doesn't attend church with their family discusses Easter. I thought for a moment and then launched into my explanation. I said to Padon "Well, once a very long time ago there was a man and his name was Jesus. People liked him a LOT because he told the most wonderful stories and helped a lot of people feel better about themselves and get better because they were sick. One day Jesus died and a lot of people were really sad. His Dad was really sad too and came to get him and take him home. Everyone was really happy that Jesus's Dad was able to come and get him and it made them feel so much better to know he would be taken care of. It was such a special and memorable day that the people said let's never forget of this day, let's call it Easter! And so we celebrate Easter every year!" Walter whispered under his breath, "Well done!" and Padon said "Jesus?!" Like, who names their kid Jesus?! and then "Oooohhhhhhh!" I impressed myself too, ha!


At my parent's house, Padon and Greg were now pros at Easter egg hunting and it was so fun to walk Sophia in her little dress with her basket; even if in the rain. It made looking back at her 2010 Easter pictures so surprising because the size comparison is so big and she was so little. Next year she will be over two and searching on her own for Easter Eggs and talking about them!


My Mom was so kind as to make a special meal for the kids so we could eat our traditional meal without fighting the small mouths over onions and rice, and lamb, and other foods that tiny taste buds rebel against. She also had them all sit down at her end of the table where she could feed them and we parents could eat at peace and leisure. It was such a special treat and much appreciated. It was such a memorable day.

No comments: