Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Allergies or Just Plain Being Pregnant?

So I have been struggling with allergies for I don't know how many months now and have been blamming a good amount of sneezing at our poorly vacuumed carpets and second cat. Then just on a whim I thought I would Google allergy symptoms and pregnancy. Come to find out an alarming number of other to-be-mom's also struggle with sneezing, runny, and stuffed up noses. Most of which they attribute to a heightened sense of smell and increased blood flow to the nasal blood vessels. I kind of feel like collapsing on the floor in front of my computer chair, yelling, fists waving above my head, "Nooooooooo!!!!!! God, Why me???!!!!!"

Zertec has helped me hold at bay the 14 sneezes in a row (was it that many this morning at 4am, sure felt like it) and the extreme itchiness and constant running of snot pooring out of my head; taking my brain with it. Sadly Zertec makes my whole body tired, much in the way (I realized this morning on the bus) a sleepy muscle relaxer might. And if I don't take the Zertec at the first sign of the sneezes to come I get to snort and blow for the rest of the day as my nose tickles from time to time and my sinuses feel so moist that it feels like they may give out any moment causing me to blow and blow and blow, which in itself makes my sinuses swell. I can tell you I'm excited about getting to enjoy this for the next 5 months.

I'm not trying to be overly negative I am just so shocked. I suppose I should be reassured that I'm not the only one out there grossing out their cubicle mate, one cubicle over, with my honks and snorts. At least I'm not making anyone sick even if it sounds like I have a bad cold when I talk.

4 comments:

Dear Baby said...

Okay, we can fix this. There are other allergy medecine. Namley the one that Jane Dad and I use that is the Costco brand. You just take it daily and it does not cause drowsiness, no side effects and I was able to safely take it thru both Billy & Greg. I'll ask Dad to get you a bottle.

Chloe said...

No, don't. He uses Claritin and it does nothing for me. I was going to look to see if Zertec has a non-drowsey formula which I'm sure they do. And Erin was saying that her pediatrician said if you take the pill daily your body gets used to the drowsey side effect and it goes away on its own.

joansy said...

You could also try Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus, it's a non-drowsy formula and may help. The box says it's for sinus pressure, sinus drainage, and sinus & nasal congestion. I've got 6 left in my box, but I won't see you until Sunday. It's too bad I didn't read this before tonight!

Zyrtec works the best for me, but it doesn't make me drowsy. I hope this doesn't go long! I hate it when my sinuses turn on me and all I can do is sneeze and blow my nose! It's so awful!

Troop 41653 said...

Sudafed is allowed duri g pregnancy but did give me heart palpitations. So, be careful.