Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sophia's 1st Dental Appointment

On March 19th Sophia went in for her 1st Dental appointment. I had hopes that it would be as positive an experience as it had been for Padon. I thought I might also get to take some pictures but Walter had a scheduling conflict and I had to go by myself., which made pictures impossible.

We (Padon, Sophia, and I) were called into the dental room pretty quickly after arriving and the process was smooth but not so much fun. Because Sophia was so little they had me sit her on my lap, facing me, and then had her recline back into the lap of the dental hygienist that was sitting in front of me in another chair, our knees touching. Sophia was like, "What?! No!" and started to cry. The hygienist used a stack of tongue depressors all taped together to keep her from closing her mouth and said it was okay if she cried because it allowed them to look in her mouth easily. They actually polished her teeth and wiped on the fluoride, which also made her cry (it didn't taste good) and counted her teeth. They were pleased to see that she had 10 teeth and said that everything looked good and that her teeth were coming in correctly. I had been concerned because Padon's teeth came in like text book whereas Sophia got her 8 front teeth and started to get her molars before her canines.

Everything was over in a flash, they said to give Sophia the fluoride toothpaste, albeit just a tiny bit, because we don't have fluoride in our water, and emphasised that I chew a Dentyne type gum to keep down any dental bacteria that I may have and that I may pass to Sophia in kissing her.

Padon for the most part was really good, although he was excited to be back in the dental office and would have liked to have water sprayed in his mouth again to kiss the sucking tube. It was the experience I was afraid we would have with Padon and I felt a little sick inside. I hope when we go back in 6 months that Sophia isn't still as bothered by the process. I would rather both Padon and Sophia looked forward to it.

No comments: