Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Potholes Camping Trip

What fun! My whole family went on a camping trip to the Potholes Resevoir Camp ground just south of Moses Lake here in Washington. Amazingly we found we could pack the SCA Pavilion and all of its poles (with the exception of the rain fly pole) in the Ford Focus as well as two tables, the 5 gallon water cooler, food cooler, clothing bags, camping chairs, baby pack-n-play, air mattress, dish chest, ground tarp, and blankets and we still could install the carseat properly! We were almost an advertisement for what a Ford Focus can do for you on a long trip.
With all of our stuff togther we had a lot of places to sit and hang out.We even packed Padon's chair which he fits in perfectly. When he sits in it, with his feet flat on the ground, his legs bend at 90 degree angles giving him a very comfortable seat which just makes his little chair look so cute and tiny.
Sarah unveiled her tatoos to my parents who were suprised and a tad shocked (my Dad more than anyone else) but they took it well and I think they are too cute. Sarah loves them and that is what matters.
I finally got to roast smores! Three times I have tried to do smores at SCA events and either I end up going to bed too early or it is inappropriate to bring them out because the kids are still up and they are not aloud to have any. It really seems like you have to roast smores camping especially with family because that was what we always did before. I just strongly had this feeling like, how could we not?! and I wasn't the only one because I believe Sarah and Jane also brought the makings for smores. The only bummer to the weekend was that I was fighting a chest cold that was creeping up into my head and it was making me ache and feel so tired. I took the opportunity to take a nap too when Padon fell asleep (so adorable) on my lap. Both Saturday and Sunday Padon woke up three hours earlier then normal because it was so bright in the tent and he was facinated with the sounds going on outside. Walter was awesome Saturday morning and took care of Padon so I could sleep in and try to regain some energy to fight my cold. On Saturday afternoon I was dying to take Padon out Kayaking so I put him in his swimming suit and put on the life jacket that Sarah had gotten for him.
It really was the right size but with no neck if you sat Padon down the edges would push into Padon's face and this made the whole Kayaking experience start off on a bad foot. He did a good a good job of holding himself together but,
after trying it out with him facing forward it seemed better to face him backwards so he could see me.That did help a lot but he kept holding onto the ring in which we were sitting and because his hands were on the side of the boat I accidentally rolled the paddle over his fingers three times. I was trying really hard to keep the paddle out in front of him but it was making me sit akwardly and try as I might I still hit him in the head twice and dripped water on him twice. The second dripping of water was the icing on the cake and he started to cry inconsolably. It was such a bummer because he had been enjoying the water and watching things glide by. Luckily my parents were near to shore and they could pick him up.
-
At least we got the chance to go kayaking with my sisters. My sister Sarah had also gone out with my nephew Greg and while Greg was about as unahppy as Padon with his life jacket he did a lot better and silently lounged in front of Sarah. Jane was awesome and took a chance on loosing her new and fabulous camera by balancing it on her kayak and took the awesome group shot below.
My Mom and sister Jane brought their dutch oven's and made amazing meals that I would never think to have while camping, even car camping. We had lasagna, chocolate cake, peach cobbler, cinnimon pull apart, and an awesome casserole.


Padon and Greg got along even better and I think they are starting to remember each other. It seemed to me that they were more relaxed this time in each other's proximity and played together without a whole lot of eye poking, scratching, and slapping. Padon's Sponge Bob Square Pants bandaid was an attraction to Greg but why wouldn't it be? It was bright blue with bright yellow squares on it.
I got this great picture of Padon sleeping that so reminded me of camping with him last year when he was itty-bitty. Just too cute.

It was a really good time even though we lived under the protection of bug spray. I wouldn't mind if this became an annual event. I think that people maybe concerned about gas prices but I'm of the mind to make it work. I'd like to believe there is always a way to do anything you would really like to do.

No comments: