Thursday, July 3, 2008

OMG! I'm Finally Finished!!!!

In September of last year Walter and I said goodbye to our good friends Tim and Amy as they moved back east to Rhode Is. As a parting gift we said we would make them leather boots like the ones that I had made for Walter. Note the boot in the picture below: We gave them pictures of what we thought their boots might look like when we were done and in the end only Amy's is really like the image. After shopping for affordable yet quality leather both boots ended up being red. That still worked for both Tim and Amy's SCA persona's and devices. I really wanted something that would compliment their garb and armour and I think I achieved it.
-
With a promise that we would have the boots ready by the beginning of the new season (March) I started in January and reality set in and they were finished end of June. Amy's boots were designed to compliment her dresses and armour. Amy has an amazing leather breastplate (?) made up of leather leaves all dyed in different natural colors. It is really amazing and it really seemed appropriate to design something that followed that theme.

Tim's boots were designed to compliment his device:
I did leave out the castle which the longer I look at this the more I regret it because the perfectionist in me is still debating. In either case the swan wraps itself around the boot and the buttons have suns on them while the black is carried through as trim.


Both sets of boots were sewn by hand with a sewing awl. Because of this the cobbler, that I have put the rubber soles on my boots, estimated the value of the boots at $1,500 each! I really enjoy using the awl but would enjoy sewing boots more if I had a leather sewing machine I think.
I am very happy with the way they came out and I have one more pair of boots to make before I can make one for myself. Maybe something can come of this some day. It is really fun to think of ideas for future boots because really the sky is the limit in possibilites.

2 comments:

joansy said...

Awesome job, Chloe! They look amazing!

Chloe said...

Thanks!