Monday, August 8, 2011

Saved by a Pencil

I realized that in order to stay on top of my game, within my working position, not only did I constantly need to keep reading relevant materials, but I really needed to keep on top of how industries around me were looking for marketers / graphic designers, and what they considered accomplishments. I found a company called Prolango Consulting Inc that offered regular networking opportunities, as well as free seminars, and noted that they didn't approve of passing around resumes; as that wasn't what the events were for. I realized quickly then I would need non-PACCAR business cards.



I spent probably 4 hours designing a business card, and then another hour trying to get the print-your-self-business-card template to print properly, and then I was on my way. I was really proud of my card and spent another hour and half printing the cards out, using lots of green and blue ink. Roughly 100 cards later, 70 were usable because of how they had printed through the printer, and I spent another 30 minutes cutting off parts that over lapped but weren't a deal breaker; that was when Padon woke up.



He had been in bed for the night but woke up wanting something to drink and he stopped to ask me what I was doing. I excitedly told him I was making business cards, and why, and pointed out my logo and read to him what the card said. I got through about a third of it when I realized I had forgotten my name. My stomach sank, flopped and I looked at all the waste around me. I said "Oh my God, Padon! I forgot my name! I can't believe I forgot my name! These are all garbage... I can't give people my card when they won't know who to contact back! I can't believe I forgot my name!" Padon was so sweet and said "Oooohhhhh! Well I'll get a pencil for you. I'll get a pencil for you Mommy! I'll get a pencil and you can write your name!" He then went over to the counter, climbing up on the chair to get a pencil from the cup, and brought it back saying, "Here you go mommy, you can write your name, write your name Mommy." And then he waited patiently for me to do it. Touched I took one of the nicer cards and wrote my name on the card about where it should have been. He was pleased that now everything was okay and I gave him a big hug. Saved by a pencil. If only things could be that simple.



In the end I printed, through Vista Print, 500 cards for $26 (on a screaming good deal) and now am handing those out. But I couldn't forget the wonderful goodness and sweet suggestion Padon gave me. Sometimes things seem such a big deal when really it just comes down to needing a pencil. I love my Bean!

1 comment:

joansy said...

That really is sweet. :)