Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Boy? You're Sure It's Not A Girl?

-

Walter and I decided on Thanksgiving 2005 that we would have a baby and would start trying in April 2006 because by then we would have the house we were in the process of buying and be well established. It felt like forever till April but once we got there we found getting pregnant wasn't as easy as we thought it would be. After battling my hypothyroidism and infertility because of it with lots and lots of fertility drugs and thyroid medication we found out in October 2006 we were pregnant.


It was so exciting to be pregnant and every week held something new. At 4 months I could feel the tiniest of flutters and I couldn't stop thinking about whether the little person that was developing was a girl or a boy. I really was so pleased to be pregnant that I didn't care whether it was a boy or girl but this little bump felt so dainty. I was getting more and more stuck on my bump being called Hailey Nanci (girl's name we had chosen) and I couldn't imagine it being any different. On February 5th we went in for our Ultra Sound and after a lot of time spent looking at my kidneys, gallbladder, and other organs we finally got to see our little baby. It was a fabulous experience and it blew my mind. The technician rolled the microphone over and around me trying to get the baby to move and confirmed that he was proportioned correctly, he didn't have down syndrome and that all his organs looked like they were developing properly. Lastly, with our permission, the technician rolled over his bottom and announced we were having a boy.


I was dissappointed with myself for feeling my heart drop at the sudden loss I had at Hailey no longer existing. I felt as though she had died a little even though she never was. I looked at the rolling, pushing, and kicking person and thought so you are Padon... I loved him just as much as Hailey though when the technician realized that she had forgotten to press record on the VCR, preserving this special moment. She pressed record and he froze. He wouldn't move the slightest except to pat the top of his head with his foot. He looked like someone had folded him in half and stuffed him in a bottle. His head rested comfortably between his knees and his hands rested alongside his face. It seemed apparent to me that we were going to be in for the ride of our lives with him and I was exctied. Walter couldn't have been more pleased with finding out he was having a son and was dealing with an unexpected euphoria that only a Dad can know at finding out he is having a boy. He would have been just as happy finding out he was having a girl but, man, he was having a boy!

No comments: