Friday, September 18, 2009

Fresh Apple Pie!

In a quest for farm fresh apples to make a delicious apple pie for a good friends b-day party we made one of our treks down to the Pike Place Market to sample their goods. The day was beautiful, sunny, and warm. The fountain in the square in front of Westlake Mall was going and I was dieing to see what Padon would think. To my surprise, with no problem, he followed me down the steep step inside the fountain and was excited about the really loud and very wet path we had to walk down to get out the other side. It was a spray you in the face and constantly get you wet sort of fountain however, so when Walter called me back so he could snap our picture Padon started to act concerned. I'm a tad bummed that he wasn't looking at the camera because he really did think the fountain was fun and we had a whole happy conversation about how his shoes, and my shoes, and Daddy's shoes were wet and how our pants were kind of wet but that, that was ok because it was so sunny and warm we would be dry soon.

Padon plopped into the stroller we made our way to Pike Place and I was surprised at how hospitable people seemed to be to the stroller (I wasn't pushing it mind you, so maybe I missed the hassle) and Padon seemed to enjoy himself and asked to be in the stroller. Until of course he found this sweet ride while we waited for Walter who had gone to the bathroom. He was so excited to be on it and while rocking on it would point out the large selection of eggs in the window.
We did find some nicely prices apples (apples suprisingly weren't in season enough to find a deal at most stands where they often were $2.99/lbs) and I even got a whole apple to sample. Well I got two bites, and Walter one, before Padon confiscated the rest of it. We then went down into the underground portion of the market to check out the eclectic stores and stopped in the pot smoker store where Padon happily let us try fun hats on him and where I found the coolest cat fleece hat (for me!) but knowing the price of a yard of fleece wouldn't spend $21 in a million years on it.
I got so close to getting Walter to try one of the scrumptious crumpetes at the Crumpete Shop but in his denial to ever eat one (at least I got his foot in the door) it became aparent that it was very necessary to hit one of our regular spots, Kells Irish Resturant, a couple blocks away, down Post Alley. Padon now eats enough that sharing a meal and drink isn't always enough so after out crumpetes we did share a sandwich but he got his own soda and I got one for me. It was his first glass bottle of soda and he was tickled pink and drank half of it before he indicated he could drink no more.
Passing the time I let Padon take pictures with my camera. "Why won't it take my picture when I click on the camera button about 20 times in a row really fast?"

After alot of pleading I finally got Padon to lay down on the bench we were sitting on. When Padon was 6 weeks old we made out first post birth excursion out of the house and went to the Pike Place Market and to Kells for lunch. At a point he fell alseep and we laid him down on the bench. What a difference two years makes.
2 years and 3 1/2 months

6 weeks old
After we were done with lunch and had gone past the remaining crafty vendors, drooling along the way, we made our way back towards Westlake Mall and our bus stop where we passed by a large group of pigeons and a couple people feeding them stale bagel bits. Padon was overwhelmed by the number of "chickens!" and after exclaiming loudly to him more than once not to eat the bread himself he tried very hard to get the chickens to eat out of his hand.
It wasn't happening (smart chickens) and so with proding we got him to throw the pigeons the bread. He had a really good time and the people thought he was cute.

It was such a nice day; and Walter and I agreed we loved laid back days like these!

3 comments:

joansy said...

This sounds like such a great time. Why won't Walter try a crumpet?

I love love love the picture of you and Padon in the fountain, it's too bad that he wasn't looking at the camera.

Dear Baby said...

I was thinking that your happy face more than made up for Padon not looking at the camera. It is still a great shot.
And I was laughing looking at the baby vs. big boy comparison shot. That is not even the same kid!
It sounds like a terrific time and I really enjoyed reading this post.

Chloe said...

I don't know why Walter won't eat a crumpet. I think he is just making a stand. I felt honored he finally went in the crumpet shop but he refused to try a bite of my sweetened Ricotta,honey, and almond topped crumpet, which really is quite tasty.